Saturday, November 20, 2010

Relaxed and Inspired

I'm back from my month long excursion to Poland, Isreal, and England (I never ended up going to Jordan) and I've been so inspired by the places I've visited and the experiences I've had.

I am well traveled. I have been to many countries and cities, but Isreal, by far, is the most beautiful, most thought provoking country I've ever seen. Haifa, Tel Aviv, Jaffa, Jerusalum, Jericho - I would go back in a heart beat!

Jaffa (pronounced yah-fa) has quite an interesting history. The 4,000 year old town was run down and neglected for a while, until the government subsidized buildings to artists. Since then it has become a close-knit artist community with more creative energy than you could shake a stick at. Here's some of what I saw...

Alley way Galleries in Jaffa
A tree growing out of a suspended shell - So unique!
 
Even their street signs are decorated
Haifa was another one of my favorite... and this gate is sure to work it's way into my art.


Looking out to Haifa

Caesarea has ruins from the Romans...

Remnants of Roman aqueducts that first brought water to the city

Roman Theater in Caesarea

Roman Ruins

Jerusalem... 

This temple has so many different roots in religion - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. First as a temple built by Solomon, then rebuilt by Herod the Great as a church. The golden dome was added as a place where prophet Mohammed would make his journey to Heaven.
The Church of Agony 

Isreal was truly an amazing experience and I hope you enjoyed a taste of what an inspiration it has been for me.

I'll give details of my travels to Poland and England in the next weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment